How Far Should Plan On Paddling To Your Fishing Spot

gunnels
Posts: 3
Joined: Sunday Sep 27, 2022 6:45 am

How Far Should Plan On Paddling To Your Line-fishing Spot

When you are planning a fishing outing and you are looking at maps to figure out what you can get to, what is the maximum altitude every bit a rule of pollex you volition plan on. I take been told six miles for the total trip. Two miles out, ii miles for fishing, and ii miles back. Does this sound about right?

I have been wade fishing POC for years with a guide out of a boat. I recently started kayak line-fishing and I am trying to effigy out which of the spots I tin realistically go to in a kayak.

User avatar

impulse
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: How Far Should Programme On Paddling To Your Fishing Spot

Post by impulse »

GPS tells me my lazy pace is 3 mph, with spurts of up to five mph. I can go along upwardly the lazy pace all twenty-four hour period long, and I'yard an old fart with a paddling kayak. Someone younger or with a pedaling kayak may outrange me past miles. I'd suggest you find your comfortable pace with a GPS smartphone.

My rule #1... Paddle against the wind on my manner out, when I'chiliad enthusiastic and non worn out. Then promise the wind doesn't shift.

Other than that, my range just depends on how much fourth dimension I have and how badly I desire to hit that special spot. iv hours of paddling for 30 minutes of fishing may exist worth it. But probably not.

And always be careful that the wind doesn't shift on you and take hold of you with an impossible distance dorsum to your car against a stiff wind. And don't be embarrassed if you lot have to embankment your kayak in a squall rather than risk riding it out.

SWFinatic
Moderator
Posts: 790
Joined: Thu May 31, 2022 9:31 am

Re: How Far Should Programme On Paddling To Your Angling Spot

Mail by SWFinatic »

It's most what you're capable of. Y'all should track distance on each trip that way you know how far you went and whether or not you could have safely paddled further. Not a good idea to max out your distance until you get a few years feel under your belt because conditions (mainly air current and tide) can and practise change. In that location's a huge difference betwixt paddling back to your vehicle after q day of line-fishing with the wind vs against wind and tide.

ben_beyer
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 viii:41 pm
Location: Bryan, TX

Re: How Far Should Programme On Paddling To Your Fishing Spot

Mail service by ben_beyer »

Programme out your route if especially if y'all plan to fish more than than a certain altitude from you lot launch spot. Since information technology sounds like you are paddling, then i.5-2 miles would be a practiced starting point.

The weather condition can change so exist sure to cheque information technology periodically along with taking a handheld GPS and Satellite telephone (both effectually $100) just in case.

If you take a Pro Angler, exist very careful and take parts and tools. Ane podcast I listen to, both the main guy and his son fish out of a Pro Angler. The host has had to pedal dorsum with one fin and his son had to fight wind and current after his drive failed in a tournament. His son was done at the finish of the tournament and he only had to go a petty over a mile.

WC53
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:35 pm
Location: Ancient City, Fl

Re: How Far Should Plan On Paddling To Your Fishing Spot

Post by WC53 »

As said, air current and tide. To apply the instance of a lazy 3mph paddle, if the tide modify is also three, then it is no longer a lazy paddle. Don't neglect the wind, and wait at the "forecast " to see if it switches management later in the day. These days I try to limit it to a couple miles as for some reason the return trip has gotten tougher over fourth dimension.

User avatar

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Society
TKF 5000 Club
Posts: 5373
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:12 pm
Location: downtown Bulverde, Texas
Contact:

Re: How Far Should Programme On Paddling To Your Fishing Spot

Postal service past Ron Mc »

The smart plan takes you somewhere you'll be paddling mostly upwind to fish structure, then drift fishing home.
Of class when your drift is good, you lot paddle dorsum up and do it again.
Trail courtesy of Neumie - this 24-hour interval is Estes on SSW wind.

Image

It'due south e'er nice heading in with the wind helping.
Six to viii miles is a proficient day, so look at about three miles heading out in the morning time.

Image
Image

Kayak Child
TKF 10,000 Order
TKF 10,000 Club
Posts: 31423
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:01 am
Location: Houston,

Re: How Far Should Plan On Paddling To Your Fishing Spot

Mail service past Kayak Kid »

Paddling my Seda, I could paddle/fish into a typical gulf coast wind for most of a summer day. The most miles I ever kept rail of was seven miles going...,seven miles returning. I always took a large very sturdy golf umbrella with me and used it equally a sail on the return down wind trip.

User avatar

Cityfisher
Posts: 633
Joined: Mon Jun thirty, 2022 2:05 pm
Location: Houston, Tx

Re: How Far Should Program On Paddling To Your Fishing Spot

Mail past Cityfisher »

That is a good question. Information technology really just depends on the day and the days forecast. 1 ane/2 to 2 miles one style is about my usual. If it is a really calm low wind twenty-four hours I may explore further areas. The weather changes in an instant. I was out with a friend one solar day and the forecast called for a front to hit effectually 1pm that twenty-four hours so off we went in glassy weather. Got about three/iv mile from the launch and was fishing shut to a reef island when I looked up and saw it coming. It was 3 hours early! A black wall of clouds. Shortly subsequently I saw it coming all I could hear was a freight railroad train coming beyond the bay. Started paddling towards the island that was perhaps 100 yards abroad and information technology hit me. Tried to get to the island and the current of air pushed me by and I overshot the isle. All I could do was agree on and try and stay up right until I came close to another island that the wind had created a current that whipped around the corner and sucked me in closer to the island. Got on dry country, temp dropped 10 degrees, turned my kayak sideways to block the cold wind and waited it out for three hours til information technology was at-home enough to paddle back to launch. That was kinda scary.

User avatar

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Order
TKF 5000 Club
Posts: 5373
Joined: Fri January 20, 2006 6:12 pm
Location: downtown Bulverde, Texas
Contact:
Speck Tackler
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:08 am
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Re: How Far Should Plan On Paddling To Your Fishing Spot

Post past Speck Tackler »

I don't actually set a limit on myself but I am mindful of a few things...….. I have a Hobie Outback so information technology does help. Average speed is effectually iv MPH. I commonly comprehend effectually 12 miles on tournament days.

1. Weather conditions:
A How hot is it going to be? I accept gotten into a bind in July once
B What are the chances of rain? (If I know a storm is rolling in I will limit the distance from my truck.
C Wind direction and speed. Is the wind going to pick upwards and what volition that do to the larger bodies of water.
two. Tide menstruum and direction: That can really make for a tough paddle

User avatar

karstopo
TKF 5000 Guild
TKF 5000 Club
Posts: 5452
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 x:30 am
Location: 77566

Re: How Far Should Programme On Paddling To Your Angling Spot

Post past karstopo »

It's fun to study all the water surrounding a item launch. What all tin I get to from launch ____, how many times have I asked myself that! Checking off that long range extended trip box, maybe something out 10 plus miles, what a thing to pump you upwards, literally!

Truthfully, there are great spots very close to a number of public launches. Kayaks don't excel on range, that'south probable their biggest weakness.

Anyway, three or four miles these days might be all I want to bite off. Weather, the kayak in question, the paddler in question, hard to put a number on it. Good adventures available at a 100 yards or 10,000.

Unwinder
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jul xv, 2022 12:08 pm

Re: How Far Should Plan On Paddling To Your Angling Spot

Post by Unwinder »

For me it depends on how practiced the fishing is probable to be. If I've been there before and know information technology's a good spot, and then I will go many miles. If I take not been at that place before but accept data from reliable sources, and then I'll go pretty far, but non every bit far equally if I've been there before. If I am exploring a new spot and don't have much info alee of time, then I'm not willing to go simply 2 to 4 miles.